My Sister has Zero Motivation with Short Term Memory Exercises

My sister spent almost a year from rehab clinics to hospitals to rehab clinics. She is home now with a full time attendant. She is given at home therapy, and also taken to rehab almost daily. The physical develop is gradually coming along though she is totally dependent on her caregivers.

What I need to address is her short term memory. She has almost no short term memory. I have studied several very good article with lessons for training and exercising the memory muscle. What I now know is that my sister has zero motivation. I will without getting detailed and complicated with this submission.

What I need is to figure out how to fire up, kick start, her motivation.

My sister is very aware she has no motivation. I can ask do you want to be inspired, to be motivated and she gives the affirmation. If I can be directed to articles, web pages, and your thoughts on this one difficult hurdle that will be most appreciated. It’s like a massive steel wall. There are no tools. Just flesh and imagination – how to we get from this side /unmotivated to that side /motivated.

Thanks

Chuck M

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear about your sister. But to "fire up, kick start, her motivation" all you can do is to be with her whenever you can. Watch TV with her, listen to her favorite music, talk with her about the world in general, not her injury or lack of anything. She knows. She is still in the "healing/recovery" process and that's a long strange trip. God bless you for being with her.

that is petty normal, and it is a tough road, but it gets easier as time goes on,,

it just takes time dont lose faith we have to believe

I had short term memory...ah deficiencies at first. What I did, that I think helped, was write anything and everything down that I had to do. I started with a day-timer and then just needed a small notebook. To be honest, I just got so f!@#$%^ sick and tired of writing s!@# down, that I just started to remember stuff because that was easier. I also developed my own memory aids after I was able to move out on my own. For example: If I had to go to the grocery store to buy cat food, soda pop, and cookies. I would make up and remember the word CASPOPKIE (CAt food, Soda POP, cooKIEs). Of course, I had to remember what CASPOPKIE stood for but I seemed to be able to do that since I came up with it to begin with. That is a pretty simple example, I had longer ones that were actually pretty complex.

I too have a sister with initiation/motivation problems.  You might try reading on abulia--it can be associated with brain injury.

I have a huge problem with organization, recalling the right word, motivation, and initiation. I had a friend staying with me for awhile and he would make suggestions of what needed done and we did them together. That helped so much. When he left, its like I did not take over though. I am not sure if it can be learned or if I just became depressed living alone.

I can make long lists but loose them or misplace them when I need them, like a list of stuff I need from WalMart-when Im ready to go, the list is nowhere to be found. Since I can only remember the one thing, I just dont go.

don't know if you saw my reply to someone elses response a few weeks.  My sister has the same problem and I've read where there is a disorder called "abulia" -- you might return to a neurologist to have this checked out.  Abulia has something to do with lack of initiation.

Kathy Kraus

What got me motivated was people always telling me. "if you want to remember that, write it down."  After about 2 to 3 years of hearing that and realizing that I was having difficulty remembering what happened, I would write it down.  See, I use to have a great memory, having the ability to remember everything without even really trying and then after my accident, I assumed my memory would be the same, it wasn't.  What was nice though, is that by writing it down I was able to talk about what happened earlier in the day, or yesterday, or even last week.  I can now referance my booklet and talk intelligently about the recent past.  I would get your sister a planner and just keep telling her to write what happened down.  It doesn't have to be in great detail, but just something for her to referance to might help her remember what happened or future plans.

Mike B

I've written so much down one time i had notes all over the credenza and then notes stuck all over a wooden kitchen chair.  so many so that I got lost amongst the notes.  i've tried... i lost the notes, I lose the notebook, and i forget I have one.  people simply can't relate.  and motivation?  motivation is something which I would like to experience but do not.      i skim over the material here which aggravates.   I'm new this website.  it is causing a mental void due to unfamiliar territory making me feel more inept then when time is spent with long term distant past familiarities.  Two tbi's in 8 years.  recently in nov. last year.  it's more then I can handle.  so I wait for 'motivation' to surface.  how do you describe brain damage?  Too much stimulation.  Was it the right thing to do, joining here?  fear and anxiety rises within me.

Hello Chuck,

During my first year of recovery my executive functioning was very impaired along with most everything else, and still is to some degree, but I'm almost into my 3rd year of recovery since my anoxic brain injury.  It's not that I don't want to do the therapy, it's not that I'm lazy, or unmotivated, but my initiation is missing.  When prompted I do the task.  Sometimes if something comes up between the thought of doing it and say the phone ringing, it will be lost in space.  Post it notes work great and my iPad calendar alarms.  But please it's not unmotivated (that's a negative) that area of the brain needs to find a path around the damage and that takes time.  

Lisa

hi CHUCK ,

Maybe I can help you.

First I have to ask you this have you ever heard the expression that better questions get better answers?

Secondly I have to ask you this personal question about how badly is her brain damaged?

Because if she can reply to any questions that is where you must start.

If I was to coach her in to getting motivated or inspired the first thing I'd do is ask her this question.

Is can you remember a time where she felt alive and full of happiness or joy?

And if she said no then I would ask her to imagin what it would feel like it she just pretended at being in this state?

Then once she is there (that is why I had asked you how badly her brain had been damaged) ask her what sights, sounds, smells, touches, or tastes, she ether remembers or is imaging at this time..

Then you may use a technique called anchoring to be able to induce these memories real or imaged at any time.

Now once you have got this done then it will be easy to motivate her by telling her that if she does take any positive action that she will be able to bring the feelings in to reality.
I've used this technique on several people with great success and am not fully articulating how I do it.

However if you want more information just call me up at 585-482-8833

LOVE

FF

RSS

Coming Soon

click-to-call from the web

Latest Activity

Profile IconTBINetwork via Facebook
Thumbnail

Join me tonight for "Unjustly Condemned" & Weigh In You can access show by clicking this link or dialing 424-243-9540, or toll free 855-473-3711 in USA & FREE202-559-7907 FREE outside US. This link can also be used after the…

See More
FacebookSaturday · Reply
FacebookWednesday · Reply
Kim Justus posted a status
"Grief, Loss & Transitions Discussion. Join me Wed Nite on Brain Injury Radio with Janelle"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

Join Us Wed Night to discuss Grief, Loss & Transition with Janelle & Kim You can access show by clicking this link or dialing 424-243-9540, or toll free 855-473-3711 in USA & FREE202-559-7907 FREE outside US. This link can also be…

See More
FacebookWednesday · Reply
Thumbnail

Rock On Saturday Night...Or, Come on in and Share YOUR Thoughts, Feelings, Show Suggestions...Saturday is on you kids! You can access show by clicking this link or dialing 424-243-9540, or toll free 855-473-3711 in USA & FREE202-559-7907…

See More
FacebookJul 19 · Reply
Kim Justus posted a status
"Join Brain Injury Radio Group: Get show details & the map to get there! Can YOU make a difference? Join me tomorrow & see what Maine's doing"
Jul 15
Brain Injury Radio has completed another great show. The archived version of Fantastic Frank is now available for you to listen to anytime. Visit the BlogTalkRadio app to check it out.
Jul 14
Miss.MelodyL.LaMountain shared TBI Survivors Network's group on Facebook
Jul 14

© 2014   Created by TBI Survivors Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service