Brain Injury Awareness Month 2011

What plans do you, and/or your state BIA affiliate have for Brain Injury Awareness Month

2011  Both you and your BIA will be included in “You”.

1. Have “You” contacted your local public radio stations, your public TV stations, or the

cable public access stations asking them to schedule, feature, or develop programs on
TBI? (See questions below.)

2. Have “You” contacted the health reporter or an editor at your local newspaper about

doing some articles on TBI?

a. Do “You” know of any persons, or family members who would be willing to featured in such a story?

b. Do “You” have the basic TBI information that should be included in a story?

c. Do “You” have a TBI expert to suggest to them for an interview?

d. How about articles in a “Free Shopper” or “Bargain Bulletin” type paper?

3. Commercial radio stations ---- options by age of audience, time of day, type of music

4. Distribution of Brain Injury Awareness posters by:

a. Members of TBI support groups

b. Please suggest other ideas

5. Scheduling speakers on TBI for:

a. Civic groups

b. Provider groups

c. How to get invited?

d. What to present and what to handout?

6. Involving other groups and organizations:

a. In the printing and distribution of BIAA Brain Injury Awareness Poster

1. HMOs, large medical clinics.

b. Co-presentations: VA staff, providers from other disciplines

7. Poster placement:

a. University departments of:

Social Work; Nursing; Special Education; Psychology; OT and PT

b. High Schools: Nurses, Coaches, Guidance Counselors, Social Workers

c. Local libraries and their affiliates

d. Shelters or programs for homelessness; domestic abuse; substance

abuse, and mental health clinics

8. Recommended Resources to use for different groups

9. Ideas for:

a. Rural Areas

b. Urban Areas 

c. Suburban Areas 

10. Please add YOUR ideas and suggestions.

Comment on what's worked & what hasn't.

Especially on hard to reach groups --- like physicians, etc. 

Thank you,

Tom

Tags: bia, brain, craig, help, info, injury, sicilia, support, tbi, traumatic

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Question. First, I like your phrase "fellow thrivers."

When our local library to put the BIAM display they really arranged it in a prominent location in a glass covered display case.

They did much more than arrange the materials that I brought in --- organizing them, using book stands, colored paper, highlighting information and resources, etc.

They placed the books on TBI that they library had in their collection on top of the glass case so that persons could easily check them out.

They made up bookmarks with the TBI books printed on each side so persons could take them.

They let us place material from the Brain Injury Association of Wisconsin on top so that people could take that.

Also, I found this to be an opportunity to suggest some books on TBI that the library should purchase.

They bought some new books on TBI.

Glad you asked the question.

If you could get your library to buy some books on TBI, what books would you suggest?

Brain Injury Awareness Month (BIAM) is a good time to ask the library to buy some.

the month is almost over, we reached lots of people in my area and will continue to do so we did events, braceletts a magizine and more it was a lot of fun

My local paper, El Dorado News Times in Arkansas is always encouraged by the success we've been able to secure.  I run an organization I started to do away with negative terminology, i.e., disabled, retarded, handicapped, etc., & promote survivors of cognitive challenges positively to describe our recovered status, "Challenged Conquistadors, Inc."  We've been successful in recovery because of the beneficial manner we conduct/view ourselves.  In fact, Wal Mart, Inc., has allowed us to set up seminars in their bike areas & reinforce the benefits of wearing helmets, as well as the dangers involved when not wearing a helmet; Big Mike (870)234-7800 & Tina (870)836-8000.  I can speak to this importance, because a helmet would have protected my head from hitting a vechile.  I survived a three month coma & had to relearn everything at the age of 12.  This injury has resulted in another 40 injures/cognitive challenges.  This creates challenges that keep me from working.  The challenges I've faced are what I protect others from enduring.  I face being labelled negatively, which doesn't promote freedom.  I like to view my recovered state as "challenged, challenges, etc.".  I hope you will work with me to welcome our soldiers home with encouragement & favor for they too can succeed with cognitive challenges.  www.lapublishing.com/blog/2009/brain-injury-words-people/     

A film I wrote and starred in will be screened for Brain Injury Awareness Month! It's a short comedy film called "Cooking with Brain Injury." It shows how I couldn't figure out simple steps to cooking after my injury, but for making my kitchen horrors into a film, it I wrote it to be like a TV cooking show. It's 10 minutes of ridiculousness.

Portland State University has a chapter of the national student speech-language pathology club called NSSLHA. They have offered to organize this film night! All the money taken in goes to a non-profit peer (survivor) led support organization I'm on the Board for called BIRRDsong. With the money we get, we will be better able to do outreach about our services and get more awareness out about brain injury, especially through the voices of real people with brain injury instead of doctors and clinicians all lecturing to each other about us!

Cheryl, This is a great idea!!!! What a wonderful way to educate others!!! Is it possible to see your film? 

After my TBI, I became the cook, meal planner grocery shopper, etc. I was sure that my wife had paid the cognitive rehabilitation therapist so that this was "my new hoppy" and a way to "fill my time" since I couldn't do many of the things that I had done before. During the last 12+ years I've had some funny experiences in the kitchen (it is essential for me to be able to laugh at myself).

Thank you for posting this,

Tom

Cheryl Green said:

A film I wrote and starred in will be screened for Brain Injury Awareness Month! It's a short comedy film called "Cooking with Brain Injury." It shows how I couldn't figure out simple steps to cooking after my injury, but for making my kitchen horrors into a film, it I wrote it to be like a TV cooking show. It's 10 minutes of ridiculousness.

Portland State University has a chapter of the national student speech-language pathology club called NSSLHA. They have offered to organize this film night! All the money taken in goes to a non-profit peer (survivor) led support organization I'm on the Board for called BIRRDsong. With the money we get, we will be better able to do outreach about our services and get more awareness out about brain injury, especially through the voices of real people with brain injury instead of doctors and clinicians all lecturing to each other about us!

Hi Tom,

It's exciting to hear what new things people take on after a TBI, since we all do lose something too. I can shop, but meal planning? Whoa. I'm glad you can laugh at yourself in the kitchen. I still haven't figured out how to laugh at myself in the moment when I screw up in the kitchen, but I'll take your post to heart and try it!!

As for my film, I just had a few DVDs burned today and am going to get the labels on this afternoon. I would be happy to mail you a copy. I don't want to take advantage of anyone or use this site inappropriately, but I would need to ask for $5, if that's ok. I've incurred costs in getting the discs burned, making the cover and insert, etc. I want to keep the cost accessible to folks. The film is not available on YouTube or elsewhere because my co-star and I do not want people randomly finding it and think we're making fun of people. We're only re-enacting what I actually went through (although, we do not re-enact the grease burns I endured). :)

Thanks!

Cheryl

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconTBINetwork via Facebook
Thumbnail

Leave it to our young minds to break it down simple for us, need to release a little steam do what our friend jed did

HILARIOUS! MUST see how they react!!

2:00

Facebook2 hours ago · Reply
Joe Armand is now a member of TBI SURVIVORS NETWORK
21 hours ago
Thumbnail

tonight at 7PM Pacific time

STAND UP - STEP OUT - SPEAK UP with Craig Sicilia

Tonight meet the future of the…

See More
Facebook22 hours ago · Reply
Thumbnail

this is TOTALLY along the lines of HeadStrong's meaningful projects and activities. Look at this!!! from Cheryl Green LOVE THIS!…

See More
FacebookSunday · Reply
Richard L. Jackson posted a status
"My wife and I just returned from NY attending my mom and dad's funeral We told many about the healing and transformg power of Jesus Christ"
Friday
Thumbnail

don't forget to live, don't let life pass you

FacebookFriday · Reply
Thumbnail

there is no place like home, there is no place like home

FacebookFriday · Reply
Thumbnail

BRAIN INJURY LESSONS LIVE & LEARN

FacebookFriday · Reply

Coming Soon

click-to-call from the web

© 2014   Created by TBI Survivors Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service